new voices for the theater
Photo by Tom Topinka
The deadline for script submissions is Monday, January 31, 2022.
Guidelines To Submit
1. Participant must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia
2. Participant must currently be enrolled in high school (grades 9-12) on the date of submission
3. Scripts must be original to the submitting artist – adaptations or plagiarism will NOT be considered
4. Script must be in the form of a play – short stories, screenplays, and musicals will NOT be considered
5. Script must be no more than 25 minutes in length (approximately 25 pages, not including the cover pages)
6. Script must NOT have been previously produced in a professional setting
How To Submit
Prepare your play for submission. Each submission must include:
1. The Play
2. Page Numbers
3. A Character Breakdown Page – this includes a list of characters and a description of each character.
4. A Cover Page with the following information:
a. Playwright’s name (no pseudonyms, please)
c. School name
d. Phone number (Home & Cell)
e. Email (if you do not have email, please provide parent’s email address)
Fill out your submission form and submit your play HERE. Be sure to have available:
- Your contact information
- Your parent/ guardian’s contact information
- Your school name and address
- Play Title
- 3-5 Sentence Summary of Play
- 3-5 Sentence Artist Statement – why the subject matter of your play is important to you
- 1 uploadable file that includes your play, character page, and cover page in Microsoft Word (.docx) or PDF (.pdf) format.
Tips for a Successful Submission
As you write or edit your play, make sure each character has a specific purpose for being present in the text. If you are including the brief appearance of this character in order to introduce new information to further the plot, re-examine how you can adjust the revelation of this information through essential characters and action.
For more playwriting tips, see our Helpful Playwriting Hints HERE.
Selection Announcement: May 9, 2022
Virtual Residency: June 21 – July 2, 2022
Winners of SPARC’s New Voices for the Theater 2022 Excellence in Playwriting Award will attend a two-week virtual residency, June 21-July 2, 2022. In 2022, four (4) winners will be chosen, and the program will take place 100% virtually.
SPARC’s New Voices for the Theater 2022 Excellence in Playwrighting Award may still be given to young playwrights who are unable to attend the two-week residency. If a young playwright is unable to attend the residency, they will not receive playwriting mentorship and their play will not be produced or staged.